DaGeek Testing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoghts for a new 2.0

+2
Gogs
Admin
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Thoghts for a new 2.0 Empty Thoghts for a new 2.0

Post by Admin Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:14 am

So I have been working on a new 2.0. I am trying to make it a little more functional.
I am adding:

1. Push notifications. This is not so I can send you push messages but so it can integrate with Snevl to send push messages based on a rule set. For instance, the kids arrive home. You could send a push message that lets you know. Or the pool temperature rises, you could send a push notification. Also in app you could send a push message to all you Snevl users.

2. Mapping- Right now this is going back and forth between google maps integration and apples native maps. I have settled on google right now as it's integration is much more intuitive. The idea behind this is that you would have a "User Map", which would pull all your users/badges in Snevl an plot them on a map with the last known location. I have attached a image of this.

3. There would be a login system. Now before any one says no way! Here is what it is for. To allow the use of Push notifications I have to have a push service. To do that your app has to register with apple to receive push notifications for the app. It happens in every app you have! The login would simply be so I have a way to link that token that apple gives you to your Snevl user. It's pretty minor. Signup with email and password and the app links everything and registers you for push notifications. Please understand nothing of your information is ever saved anywhere but in the local app and in Snevl. This app is only ment to be used with Snevl.

4. The tracking would be a little different. And this one is still up in the air. I was thinking of re-doing how location tracking works. Basically the app would auto update Snevl every 5 minutes. But you would enter in a distance variable also. Thus if you don't move it updates every 5 and if you do move it takes the distance into account.

Below is a screenshot of the map page working. I have much more work to do, but I figured if I am gonna build this why not add everything I can. I would like to know everyones thoughts!

Thanks
Greg

Thoghts for a new 2.0 Image11
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://dageek.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Thoghts for a new 2.0 Empty Re: Thoghts for a new 2.0

Post by Gogs Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:34 am

Sounds interesting.

One thing, in 4 where you are considering the way it tracks would it not be better if when you are not moving it does not update Snevl, thus saving battery.
Gogs
Gogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayman13 Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:53 am

I agree. I guess if it is tracking when you are moving there is no real point to intermittent updates...

Jayman13

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:21 am

Jayman13 wrote:I agree.  I guess if it is tracking when you are moving there is no real point to intermittent updates...
In regards to that. If it is tracking distance anyways there is no more battery power used to do a timed update. It's already tracking. And if you are moving it wouldn't do a timed update.

The timed is really something I want. If I or any user is sitting still I don't want it to not have a last updated time that gets to be 2 or 3 hours old. And as distance needs to check location then it doesn't use any more battery to make it work like this.

Just my thought. I could always keep it as is and allow you to tell it how you want to do updates. Like interval or distance.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayman13 Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:29 am

I gotcha. So how would it know if you are moving? Something like if two timed tracks are different distances apart then turn on distance?

Jayman13

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:42 am

Jayman13 wrote:I gotcha.  So how would it know if you are moving?  Something like if two timed tracks are different distances apart then turn on distance?

Its the same thing I do now. I take a gps reading. The location is saved. when you move I calculate in the code the distance between the saved gps coords and the new cords. If that distance is greater than the distance you save in your settings then I update and save the coords at which the update was done. If the distance does not exceed your settings then no update and I keep the starting coords.

It's actually pretty cool. You convert everything to radians, calculate, then convert radians to meters, then calculate. <--- Sorry just geeking out! LOL!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayman13 Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:25 am

Sorry. I don't follow. This is really for my own edification. As it stands now it only calculates distance when you are plugged in. Which I really like a lot because that dramatically saves battery life and is extremely accurate. However, if updated by time it isn't gonna do it by distance just every 1-10 min otherwise the battery would run down b/c you have gps all the time with distance, right? So would it be for example, timed updates but because the timed updates show two updates at different locations then the gps is left on to track distance?

Jayman13

Back to top Go down

Post by jbbtex Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:20 pm

1.  I like it.
2.  Looks good.  Just one question.  Would there be a way to indicate different users on the map, ie. different icons?
3.  OK
4. I like this solution.  The way I have the app set up now, I'm basically doing this, so long as I remember to plug the phone in while I'm in the car.

jbbtex

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:42 pm

Jayman13 wrote:Sorry.  I don't follow. This is really for my own edification.  As it stands now it only calculates distance when you are plugged in.  Which I really like a lot because that dramatically saves battery life and is extremely accurate.  However, if updated by time it isn't gonna do it by distance just every 1-10 min otherwise the battery would run down b/c you have gps all the time with distance, right?  So would it be for example, timed updates but because the timed updates show two updates at different locations then the gps is left on to track distance?

Yeah I just went through all of the code. As you are right. It would stay the same. You choose how to update. And it would save battery power. if using only interval updates. I was thinking I could circumvent the process, but my idea would not have worked out to well.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:49 pm

jbbtex wrote:1.  I like it.
2.  Looks good.  Just one question.  Would there be a way to indicate different users on the map, ie. different icons?
3.  OK
4. I like this solution.  The way I have the app set up now, I'm basically doing this, so long as I remember to plug the phone in while I'm in the car.

In answer to your #2 question:
If you look at the image below you will see 2 different icons on the map. Those are 2 different user in Snevl that are plotted on the map as of there last known location. When you tap on the user you will get a little bubble like shown that will tell you the users name and the last time they were located.

My plan is to find a way for you to set either a image or a color for each user and to show the name at the top of the icon so you know who it is without clicking to get the bubble. The layout part just isn't finished yet.

Thoghts for a new 2.0 Image210
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogs Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:03 am

Regarding this moving or not moving discussion I had a thought.

Would it be possible if tracking on distance travelled that if you stop moving it sends an update rather than waiting for the required distance.

For example I have distance set to 350, I had travelled 720 and stopped for an hour but the track did not show where I had stopped as it was short of the required distance to update.
Gogs
Gogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:31 am

Gogs wrote:Regarding this moving or not moving discussion I had a thought.

Would it be possible if tracking on distance travelled that if you stop moving it sends an update rather than waiting for the required distance.

For example I have distance set to 350, I had travelled 720 and stopped for an hour but the track did not show where I had stopped as it was short of the required distance to update.
Yes this is part of what I am trying to add in. Basically the app would track by distance unless no movement is detected. If no movement i detected it will then update based on a interval.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogs Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:46 am

Admin wrote:

Yes this is part of what I am trying to add in. Basically the app would track by distance unless no movement is detected. If no movement i detected it will then update based on a interval.
Perfect.
Gogs
Gogs

Back to top Go down

Post by x10joe Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:06 am

Gogs wrote:
Admin wrote:

Perfect.
I agree. I think having a non movement update would be great. Sitting at a stop sign or in the garage would give a more detailed map plot.

x10joe

Back to top Go down

Post by x10joe Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:10 am

I did give it a workout last week. Here is my 694 mile map plot.
Joe
Thoghts for a new 2.0 <a href=Thoghts for a new 2.0 June_t11" />

x10joe

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:37 am

Joe you are quite the traveler
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogs Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:44 pm

Admin wrote:

Sorry to harp on about this, but, it's becoming an annoying thing.

If the non movement is a problem then how about when tracking is switched on it immediately sends it's position (rather than waiting till I have travelled half a mile) and a button to report current position?

It's all about start and finish positions.
Gogs
Gogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:16 pm

Gogs wrote:
Admin wrote:

If the non movement is a problem then how about when tracking is switched on it immediately sends it's position (rather than waiting till I have travelled half a mile) and a button to report current position?

Yeah I am working on all of this.
In the end I will have report when moving. When not moving it will report every so often depending on user settings. When moving there will be no auto reporting. The tough thing is knowing when stoped. Basically I have to say on every location check if not greater than distance time from last update greater than interval, then update.

I suppose I could add a button for manual send location.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogs Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:30 pm

Admin wrote:
Gogs wrote:
Admin wrote:

Yeah I am working on all of this.
In the end I will have report when moving. When not moving it will report every so often depending on user settings. When moving there will be no auto reporting. The tough thing is knowing when stoped. Basically I have to say on every location check if not greater than distance time from last update greater than interval, then update.

I suppose I could add a button for manual send location.
The button could not go wrong. If never used then sel a vie, but it's there and tempting you to press it. Smile
Gogs
Gogs

Back to top Go down

Post by x10joe Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:58 am

Greg,

How will Googles latitude announcement affect your app and btraced?

x10joe

Back to top Go down

Post by stevea Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:27 pm

x10joe wrote:Greg,

How will Googles latitude announcement affect your app and btraced?
I would imagine that Greg can answer for himself, but since he hasn't yet, let me take a cut: Google's announcement that they are retiring Latitude probably means that people will be more interested in GpsToHS, and if Greg follows through with all he's discussed (in this thread, and porting to Android), I think he will have quite a few users, including some moving from Btraced. Caveat: Since I have an Android, I can't speak directly about either of the iPhone apps, but am assuming an HS-specific app will be better in many respects than the more generic Btraced.

Steve

stevea

Back to top Go down

Post by jbbtex Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:51 pm

Here's I feature I'd like to see.

If GPStoHS times out trying to reach the HS server, have the app put up a notification.

jbbtex

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogs Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:58 pm

jbbtex wrote:Here's I feature I'd like to see.

If GPStoHS times out trying to reach the HS server, have the app put up a notification.
It does after 5 failed attempts, or at least on the version I am running.
Gogs
Gogs

Back to top Go down

Post by jbbtex Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:42 pm

[quote="Gogs"][quote="jbbtex"]Here's I feature I'd like to see.

If GPStoHS times out trying to reach the HS server, have the app put up a notification.[/quote]
It does after 5 failed attempts, or at least on the version I am running.[/quote]

I know that inside the app it does, what I'm talking about is a Notification like when you receive an email or iMessage. I'm running 1.6.9.

jbbtex

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogs Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:35 pm

jbbtex wrote:
Gogs wrote:
jbbtex wrote:Here's I feature I'd like to see.

It does after 5 failed attempts, or at least on the version I am running.

I know that inside the app it does, what I'm talking about is a Notification like when you receive an email or iMessage.  I'm running 1.6.9.
Ahh, right, misunderstood what you were asking.
Gogs
Gogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum