DaGeek Testing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Update Build for Distance based tracking...

5 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Update Build for Distance based tracking... Empty Update Build for Distance based tracking...

Post by Admin Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:03 pm

Ok. In just a bit there will be a new build put up. Build 1.5.8
I will also post the contents of this email in post on the forum.
https://dageek.forumotion.com

I have added the ability to track by distance.

Before Doing any of this please open the app and Turn Off Auto Start if you have it on, and save your settings!

There are some key things to make sure you do before starting the GPS in the app.
1. Go into your HS server and go to the Setup TabWebserver tab
2. Look for “Enable Ip Hack Blocking”
3. You have 2 choices here
1. Turn it off. I did for testing
2. Leave it on and set the “Invalid access 'hits' before block imposed:” to something like 20 and set “Time between 'hits' to count toward block being imposed (seconds):” to something like 2. This should give it the ability to allow your calls through to HS without blocking your ip address if you update distance is set to low.

4. Install the update to the app
5. GOTO SETTINGS TAB before starting GPS
6. Turn Off Auto Start if you are using it. Just for the initial test.
7. Scroll down and find the on off switch for “Use Distance Instead of time” Turn it on
8. Fill in the meters. I would suggest 350 to start. It is a little under ¼ mile. Normally it is defaulted but you guys are updating so that may not take.
9. Save Settings!

10. Start GPS

At this point if you are having trouble with the app. Delete it off you phone. And click the link in the Test Flight email to re-install the version. You will need to put all our settings back in. But a fresh install should work fine.

So here is how it works. When using distance is on the Update interval is only used to keep the app running in the background. If you turn Distance to off and save settings the app will resume doing updates on the interval. Turn Distance back on and it will now update based on your distance setting.

It is one or the other for now. My thought is to get it to do both. This way if distance is on but you are sitting at the movie theatre it will also report your location to HS on the interval time. But I have to work that out.

I need to clean up some of the loading screens as they should be different with these changes, but that won’t interfere with your testing.

The IP Hack Blocking comes in because I am doing direct updates. I am going to talk to Steve about adding in some kind of multi-update to handle it. But that’s for the future!

Thanks for all the help guys,
Greg

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Update Build for Distance based tracking... Empty Re: Update Build for Distance based tracking...

Post by Jayman13 Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:38 pm

I'm sitting here in my office with the updated app running. I noticed the GPS inidicator on my phone went off for some reason. Shouldn't it be running all the time if I have distance enabled? I went back into the app and it started up again...

Jayman13

Back to top Go down

Update Build for Distance based tracking... Empty Re: Update Build for Distance based tracking...

Post by Admin Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:04 pm

Jayman13 wrote:I'm sitting here in my office with the updated app running. I noticed the GPS inidicator on my phone went off for some reason. Shouldn't it be running all the time if I have distance enabled? I went back into the app and it started up again...

How long did it sit?

Also after you save the settings to turn it on, hit the stop, then the start button on the GPS page. I think I may have a issue in the save function. I will be looking at it.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayman13 Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:44 pm

Maybe about 1/2 hour hard to tell. It has been working for awhile now though. It tracked my route home appropriately and opened my garage door when I got close to my home...

Jayman13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayman13 Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:33 pm

It gas died on me again twice in the last hour or so...

Jayman13

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:54 pm

Jayman13 wrote:It gas died on me again twice in the last hour or so...

yep I definatley have a bug in the save routine that messes with the watch process. I will look at it in the morning.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Update Build for Distance based tracking... Empty My results from work to home

Post by x10joe Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:29 pm

Update Build for Distance based tracking... Screen13

x10joe

Back to top Go down

Update Build for Distance based tracking... Empty Another screen capture

Post by x10joe Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:30 pm

Update Build for Distance based tracking... Screen14

x10joe

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:40 am

Well I have narrowed it done to the stop function. Just trying to work out the issue. Hopefully I will have a solution soon.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayman13 Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:41 am

Interestingly, not sure if btraced has the same underlying problem, but their app stops usually after. Couple of days running continuously...

Jayman13

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:45 am

Jayman13 wrote:Interestingly, not sure if btraced has the same underlying problem, but their app stops usually after. Couple of days running continuously...

Its odd because if I run it on timed updates I have run for up to 3 days with out issue. But there are a couple debug calls that hit the stop function in the background if there is a problem. The stop function is blowing up when trying to attach to the watch procedure.

I would be interested to know if Google Lattitude dies after a couple days also.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayman13 Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:47 am

It doesn't...

Jayman13

Back to top Go down

Update Build for Distance based tracking... Empty Here is my results today set at 50M

Post by x10joe Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:56 am

Here is my results today set at 50M
Update Build for Distance based tracking... Towork12

x10joe

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:12 am

So joe Does that mean its working?

Is it working the way you would want it to?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayman13 Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:33 am

Mine stopped working after the newest update. I'll restart it...

Jayman13

Back to top Go down

Post by x10joe Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:38 am

Admin wrote:So joe Does that mean its working?

Yes Greg. It does seem to work very well. Great work. Do you know what the min distance that be set?

x10joe

Back to top Go down

Post by x10joe Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:39 am

Admin wrote:So joe Does that mean its working?

Yes Greg. It's working very well. Today was on my Harley with iPhone in my pocket.
What is the min distance that can be set?

x10joe

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:08 am

Realistically you could set it to 1 meter. But if your running IP Hack Blocking in HS that could get your ip blocked. If your not running hack blocking then in theory it would update. But take into consideration that your ISP could get a little irritated if they see something hitting you ip address ever 20 seconds. Also every time you send an update Snevl is doing reverse geocode. So if you go over 2500 requests in a 24 hour period your reverse geocode will fail in Snevl.

So kinda find a rule of thumb to go by. For me I do this:
If driving I set it at about 250 meters to 350 meters
If walking the dogs I set it at 20 or 30 meters
If going for a run I set it at 60 to 75 meters.

Anything else I just have it update based on a time interval.

Jay has requested that I put in a hook that says if plugged in then do distance otherwise if not plugged in do interval. Of course this would be a on/off switch to enable that feature. I am looking at it.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayman13 Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:18 am

Mine died again though sitting here in my office...

Jayman13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayman13 Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:20 am

My bad though. I thought this was the version you were talking about this am...

Jayman13

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:22 am

Jayman13 wrote:My bad though. I thought this was the version you were talking about this am...

Nope. Just about to make a build and put it up. You should get an email shortly to update!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayman13 Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:20 am

With the newest version from today, I noticed the gps icon in the upper right hand corner went off after about 10 minutes. I think it went back on, on its own though as it came back and when I went into the app it looked to be running...

Jayman13

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:42 am

Jayman13 wrote:With the newest version from today, I noticed the gps icon in the upper right hand corner went off after about 10 minutes. I think it went back on, on its own though as it came back and when I went into the app it looked to be running...

Are you running in interval mode or distance mode? And can you see if it update Snevl?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayman13 Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:44 am

I'm running in distance mode. There hasn't been an update in Snevl but I think that is appropriate because I am staying relatively in one place.

Jayman13

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:50 am

Jayman13 wrote:I'm running in distance mode. There hasn't been an update in Snevl but I think that is appropriate because I am staying relatively in one place.

What is your interval time set to?

I know your running in distance but the interval is what keeps background services running.

Also Jay, can you dig through your email and find the invite for the project from test flight. You never accepted just installed. It keeps you separated in my admin interface.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next